Historic Preservation Plan Project
Good news! The Town of Concord and Concord Historical Commission are embarking on a year-long planning process to develop a community-wide Historic Preservation Plan for the 21st century. The Concord Historic Districts Commission will be a key partner.
The plan will support the integrated, cross-disciplinary approach of Concord's community plan Envision Concord, Bridge to 2030 (2018) as well as national goals of the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission which is "charged with orchestrating the largest and most inclusive observance in our nation's history" in 2025 and 2026.
In the two decades since the last plan was written, dramatic societal and environmental changes helped reshape the approach to and practice of preservation. National preservation priorities include: 1) expanding the narrative to reflect a more complete American story relevant to all; 2) supporting sustainability while preparing for and responding to climate change and extreme weather events; 3) addressing the affordable housing crisis; and 4) encouraging economic vitality in the wake of the global pandemic.
We are so pleased to be working with Heritage Strategies, LLC, a preservation consulting firm that has developed plans for National Heritage Areas, World Heritage Sites and historic communities across the country. Nearby, they have worked with Freedom's Way National Heritage Area and the Towns of Sudbury, Lenox, Falmouth and others.
Beginning with background research in November 2023, the project will include four phases. Look forward to community and stakeholder outreach in early 2024, followed by recommendations and a final report in late 2024.
Many thanks to the Concord Community Preservation Committee and the Massachusetts Historical Commission for supporting this project!
Heritage Strategies, LLC, Proposal for the Town of Concord, Sept 2023
Grant Application, Sept 2022
Reference - Town documents
- Envision Concord - A Bridge to 2030
- Freedom's Way Landscape Inventory
- 2015 Open Space and Recreation Plan
- Town of Concord Housing Production Plan 2022
- Concord Tourism Benchmark Plan 11 1 19
- Concord Tourism Marketing Plan - DRAFT - 2023
- APP 10 - Board of Selectmen Guidelines - Town Committee and Board Appointments (PDF)
Reference - Regional and State documents
Reference - Concord Historical Commission documents
- Historical Commission - 1973 Establishing Article
- Historical Commission Code Amended 2024
- Historic Resources Masterplan, 2001
- Narrative Histories of Concord and West Concord by Anne Forbes (PDF)
- Demolition Review Bylaw
- Sustainability Guide for Historic and Older Homes
- West Concord Historic Resource Survey Project Final Report - August 2013 (PDF)
- West Concord Historic Resource Survey Plan - Completed August 2013 (PDF)
- Addendum to the West Concord Historic Resource Survey Listing Priority 2 Properties (PDF)
Reference - Concord Historic Districts Commission documents
To help do our part in providing a welcoming experience to all who visit during the 250th anniversary of the Battle of Concord in 2025, we anticipated the need to update survey work on pre-1775 structures to reflect a more complete American story. The Town and Historical Commission submitted the following grant application, now being considered by the Concord Community Preservation Committee.