What do I do with old paint?
Concord Public Works runs the paint reuse, recycling, and disposal shed at the Composting Site (on Walden Street, just across route 2), every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., April through October. The shed is set up as a swap shed and is open to all Concord residents. Residents bring paint materials they no longer want, and may take away excellent quality materials for reuse at no cost. Residents are encouraged to visit the paint shed before beginning a painting project to see what materials are available for free. There are usually large quantities of primer, sealer, off-white semi-gloss (excellent for moldings and trim), off-white flat paint, wood stain, deck sealer, paint thinner, and more.

Latex paint is not a hazardous product, so the only latex paint the shed will accept is latex paint in good enough condition that you can imagine using it in your own home. If there is very little paint in the can, or the paint is dried out, throw the can away with your regular rubbish. If there is more than ¼ can but it is not in good condition, or if the paint has been frozen, you must dry it out, then dispose of it with your regular trash. To dry it out, add kitty litter or a latex paint hardener typically available at Concord Lumber, Vanderhoof Hardware or other paint suppliers, then dispose of the can with your regular trash.

Oil and alkyd-based paints and stains are hazardous products. If the can is empty you may throw it away with your regular trash. If the can is more than ¼ full, no matter what condition, bring the can to the paint shed for reuse, recycling, or proper disposal. Other paint products, such as primer and sealer, polyurethane, shellac, wood and deck preservatives, paint remover, unused paint thinner, and unused mineral spirits, are also accepted for reuse, recycling, or proper disposal at the paint shed. These items are flammable and should never be disposed of with your regular trash unless the can is empty or the materials are dried out. Paint thinner or mineral spirits that have been used to clean brushes should be taken to the Minuteman Hazardous Waste Facility for proper disposal.

The Paint Shed does not accept any other hazardous material. Other hazardous products, such as epoxy, floor finish, and more must be taken to the Minuteman Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Lexington, which is open to Concord residents 1 Saturday per month April through November. For more information on disposing of hazardous materials call Concord Public Works at 978-318-3240.

Show All Answers

1. What happens to the materials I place in my recycling bin?
2. Are pizza boxes recyclable?
3. Can old pots and pan be recycled at curbside?
4. What materials can I recycle in my green bins?
5. Is there any place where I can recycle my plastic bags?
6. How do I recycle corrugated cardboard?
7. What do I do with old paint?
8. How do I dispose of my old smoke/fire detector?
9. How do I get rid of furniture and household items I no longer want?
10. How do I get rid of my old TV or computer?
11. How do I dispose of my trash and recyclables?